My Mom’s sweet neighbor picked me some rhubarb and I was excited to get to baking.Much to my son’s dismay I do not have a copy of the rhubarb pie his Great Grandma and Aunt made.After asking around I finally decided on Oma’s Rhubarb Cake. A poster in a Vintage Recipe Group on Facebook shared this one with me.It is delicious! The crunchy top goes perfect with the soft moist cake.
Next time I will definitely be using another cup of rhubarb.I did use half brown sugar and half white. I love the flavor brown sugar gives. You could easily sub in more if you like.
Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ground cinnamon, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking soda, salt and 2 cups flour. Stir in the eggs and sour cream until smooth, then fold in the rhubarb. Pour into the prepared dish and spread evenly. In a smaller bowl, stir together the remaining 1 cup sugar and butter until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup flour until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the cake then dust lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Need more rhubarb recipes? Here are a few I found.
Rhubarb Cobbler. This sounds so delicious!
Rhubarb Meringue. I love the idea of meringue and rhubarb together.
These Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars look amazing!