Let me just add a disclaimer here real quick. It’s well known in my house that if something looks terrible it probably tastes really good.
Grandma S’s Manacotti did not serve up pretty. It tasted excellent but good looking it was not.
I had a lot to live up to with this one! Grandma S is the standard my husband holds my cooking up to. So using her recipes makes me nervous!
Of course things started off rough. I forgot to buy parsley and could not find cracker crumbs. So dried flakes and bread crumbs it is.
Spaghetti sauce jar sizes seem to have changed and in the future I will just use 1 jar instead of 1.5 like I did.
Grandma S’s Baked Stuffed Manicotti
- 12 manicotti shells
- 1 1/2 lbs ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/4 lb mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/3 C romano cheese
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/4 C chopped parsley
- 1/2 T salt
- 1/4 C cracker meal
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- Mix cheeses, eggs, parsley, salt, and cracker meal.
- Fill uncooked shells. I used a baggie with a corner cut off and it worked very well.
- Heat sauce with 1/2 jar water in pan.
- Put half sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Place filled uncooked shells in a single layer on top. Cover shells completely with remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil, bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover sprinkle with parmesan or romano cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes.
I expected these to really be a pain to make but they were actually easier than stuffed shells.
Ok now for the pictures. Do not judge this pan by it’s cover! I swear they tasted good!
Next time I will only use as much sauce as needed to cover. These were swimming in it.
Also I forgot to set the second timer so the top got a little dark.
Hope you give it a try!!